Main specific topics of the course:
- What is science fiction and why it has any relation to philosophy?
- History and development of Science Fiction genre.
- Mary Shelley's Frankenstein - philosophical aspects of the first science fiction novel.
- The Time Machine and the sociocriticism (H.G. Wells and socialism).
- Utopia and dystopia - from Plato’s Republic to Orwell’s 1984.
- Terry Pratchett and philosophy - Ass of the dwarf’s king and the Auditors of the Universe.
- Hall 9000 - Can computer think like a human being?
- Bladerunner and Total recall - does your memories makes you human?
- Phillip K. Dick - The Golden Man - does law makes you human?
- Night of the living dead - zombies and the problem of consciousness.
- Mr Spock and the teleporter - Star Trek the problem of personal identity.
- Solaris and God of Science Fiction.
- Two faces of the force - Star Wars and the problem of dualism.
- Frank Herbert’s Dune - Bene Gesserit and religion as a tool.
- Matrix and the Evil Demon of Descartes.
- Samuel R. Delany - Babel-17 - Science Fiction and the philosophy of language.